There’s no getting around it. Moving is disruptive! The very thought of it is enough to cause many to simply hunker down, ignore the idea and stay put.
But what if you are a senior whose life could be vastly improved by moving to a place that is more supportive of your needs? Maybe you yearn for something smaller, less cluttered, less expensive and easier to maintain. Maybe you’re considering moving to a senior’s residence that provides meals, laundry, companionship and the appropriate level of health care support. Whatever your objectives, you’re not going to get there – unless you bite the bullet and move.
The first question you might ask yourself is how do you choose a mover that is knowledgeable about and sensitive to the unique needs of seniors? There are many moving companies out there, but they are not all created equal.
The answer lies in good solid interviewing. Invite 2-3 reputable movers to quote on your job and take the time to ask them specific questions. Seek a solution that offers more than simply the ‘cheapest price’. Here are a few good questions to consider:
- Are they a member in good standing with the BBB (Better Business Bureau)?
- Does the company know about and abide by the terms of the ‘Good Practice Guidelines for Canadian Movers’?
- Do they use contracted casual labour or full time employees? While the use of employees increases operating costs for companies, it tends to provide better quality services and an increased level of consumer confidence.
- What is the average tenure of their movers and what training is provided by the company?
- Are their trucks and dollies designed to accommodate the smaller spaces and loading docks sometimes associated with senior’s residences?
- Can they provide temporary storage facilities if required? If so, what provisions have they made for managing the inventory and providing security?
- Can they provide boxes and packing materials if you choose to do your own packing?
- Most offer packing but do they also offer unpacking and set up at the new home?
- Do they offer discounts for seniors?
While moving can be an unsettling experience, questions such as these can be your guide to finding the right partner. Take charge and don’t let the idea of moving prevent you from moving forward with your life.